the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Earth is the new awesome

Over the past few months I've tried to pay more attention to the environment. In my own small ways I've made positive changes. I'm recycling my Diet Dr. Pepper cans, I don't spit my gum out the car window anymore and sometimes I even reuse zip-loc bags. If I'm not careful people might start calling me a hippie.

Some other hippie/tree hugger/granola/liberal tendencies I've developed recently are:

1) I have a new favorite TV show called Planet Earth.

(*SPOILER ALERT* The seal dies when the great white snatches it up in it's scary jaws and launches itself out of the ocean)

Also turns out I love gazelles and other wild animals that run really fast including wild hunting dogs and snow leopards.

2) I decided to try and be cooler and start listening to NPR. Any respectable hippie/tree hugger/granola/liberal listens to NPR right?

(*SPOiLER ALERT* NPR is just a regular news station except on NPR everyone has to speak in a really soothing monotone voice and never ever laugh)

The one good thing about listening to NPR is being able to have conversations with people that begin with "Today when I was listening to NPR..."

3) Tonight I went to Rainbow Grocery for the first time. Rainbow is like Whole Foods for hippies. There were so many bulk bins my head almost exploded but still, I think I'll head back again when I have a few hours to kill and tons of $$ to spend on high priced organic produce.

17 Comments:

  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger bex said…

    I can't believe that Steve is having such an effect on you - the ultimate consumer!

    Also, I would like to point out that you called those Planet Earth wild hunting dogs "prairie dogs" for awhile, which means that your hippie-ness still has a little ways to go.

     
  • At 6:59 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    NPR is good for a few laughs...Saturdays a show called Car Talk, two brothers from NY take calls about car problems. You'd think it wouldn't be funny, but it is.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy (Belated) Earth Day!!

    I tried NPR, but I really need inappropriate jokes about celebrities and politicians for my morning commute... something to make me giggle.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger Alice said…

    I had a dream the other night that I was an interviewer for NPR. I was interviewing gangs members in my hometown (Hayward) and I recall the difficulty in my dream of trying to attain that soothing monotonous voice. Weird huh?

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I second Car Talk. Those guys are hilarious.

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger marshall p said…

    you know you're old when you start listening to NPR!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Rainbow is the best grocery store ever. We could never move from SF because of that store alone (oh, and our friends, right, our uh, friends).

    But all in all I spend less money at Rainbow than I do at TJ's for way better food. It's really not expensive!!!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Way to go! Now we just need to get you some tie-dye hemp shirts and pants. Maybe a mushroom patch

    oh and bex, bets makes up her own mind! Just because you want to pave over wetlands and club baby seals doesn't mean your roommate thinks that way too...

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    I will listen to car talk this weekend. Heather that all sounds just fine but until we take a trip to Rainbow together, I'm skeptical.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    One of the Car Talk guys lived in my neighborhood in Boston. How do they make talking about cars Soooooooooo hilarious?

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Anytime Bets, anytime. I go every weekend. But for you, I'd be willing to make a special trip. And point out all the extra cool finds.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Mattwo said…

    so, Planet Earth. I went to a friends house yesterday--she was watching said program. Little did I know it was a marathon, and little did I know it was incredible. Six hours later, I decided the DVDs might be a good investment.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Brigham said…

    Hilarious. Yes, Earth is the new awesome indeed.
    and for the record, Ira Glass laughs alot on This American Life. So yeah they do laugh on NPR.

    I'm still an Alice fan in the mornings and an NPR guy on the way home. Renay Montagne and Diane Inskeep are my co-pilots the whole ride home. (forgive any spelling mistakes on their names)

    Glad to see you girls are getting caught up with the times. You have the scooter. Once you get a prius, buy organic and sustainable clothing, and set your apt to the SF solar grid, then you can officially be hippies.

    My Planet Earth DVD's arrive tomorrow. LOVE!

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    I love NPR, and I love their "Morning is Eclectic" show- where they DO play music!
    http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb

    Also, I reuse plastic bags, ziplock bags, and anything else not immediately disintigrating. I think it just makes sense. My roommate says it's a sign of poverty. Whatever.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Tatanka said…

    Recycling? What? Come ON!

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Tatanka don't be that way.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Brigham said…

    Guess what I own?

    Planet Earth Night anyone?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home