the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Being tall is back to being the new awesome

So my new job sometimes requires me to look extra professional. It's not that I've spent the past 8 years of my life looking like a slob at work, I've just never really needed to wear a full blown suit. I started on my mission of finding the perfect suit about 2 months ago and yesterday it finally all came together. The main problem I was facing is that at 5'10" (which is not even THAT tall), pants are usually about two inches too short...throw a pair of heels into the mix and it's even worse. And blazers are no better. If I try on one more blazer where the sleeves come up to the middle of my forearms I might cry. So I started looking around. I went to Banana Republic and bought a nice pair of pants that I foolishly thought were long enough but sure enough, once at home with heels on, no good. So I go online and find that Banana Republic now makes their suiting in "tall!" Hooray!!! Well, once I was ready to drop the $300 on pants and a blazer I realized that I was not the only tall girl happy about this development. Because everything was sold out. Except the white suit. But yeah, no thanks. I even emailed customer service and they told me they had no info as to whether the tall stuff would be restocked. Sigh.

My next stop was JCrew online. They also have "tall" but their suits run about $100 more per piece than BR. But I was getting desperate so I ordered a suit that cost nearly $300 for the blazer and nearly $200 for the pants. I got it in the mail and it was nice. But I was left feeling sad that I had just spent nearly $500 on a suit. Maybe some people like to pretend like $500 isn't that much. But to me, it felt like a lot. There are many other things I can imagine buying with $500.

Enter the Victoria's Secret catalog. I know right? Victoria's Secret? What? Yes. I was paging through the catalog and stumbled upon a whole section of business suits with four different pant styles to choose from and even more cuts for blazers. Best part was the pants came in THREE different lengths! The price point was also much lower...about $70 for pants and about $130 for the blazer. I was skeptical of the quality but decided I should order one because why not?

Well my suit came in the mail yesterday and I LOVE it. It fits so nicely. The pants are the perfect length...the blazer's sleeves are long enough...the tailoring is awesome and it doesn't get wrinkly! And it was only $200 instead of $300 or $500 which means maybe I'll buy two more in different styles and colors. Who would've thought? Not me that's for sure.

Turns out Victoria's Secret has more to offer than just boobies.

20 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger cropstar said…

    haha i LOVE Vic's clothes. I'm totally embarrassed to admit that but it's true. I too love the options in pant lengths they offer.
    And I TOTALLY sympathize with you about most sleeves coming up to my forearm. It angers me. I think they should start making clothes with options in sleeve length.
    Congrats on the new suit. I'm sure it looks great!

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Tannertrue said…

    While they offer more than boobies I'm afraid that's the only thing that interests me.

    It would be like going to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and ordering the fish... highly irregular!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Steph said…

    I've actually known some people who love their clothes as well. I've never tried any for myself, but maybe I should give them a whirl after all.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Tanner you know we're ordering the steak at RC when you come visit SF again.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Judy Neil said…

    why do you think they call it Victoria's "Secret"?

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought this post was going to be about how tall Emily looked sitting next to me at Easter dinner.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    really? those clothes always look so cute but i've never ordered anything because i've been skeptical about quality. thanks for being the guinea pig!

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What Katie said. I'm 6 feet, and I have come THISclose to ordering actual clothes from them, but have never taken the leap. Now I feel like that door has been flung wide open. Oh wait - that was Halle Berry, talking about winning her Oscar, not me talking about tall clothes. :)

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Update...I just finished up a meeting with our biggest client and I felt very sassy and awesome in my VS suit. I'm buying another one today. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Where's the photo of this sassy suit?

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger each of the two said…

    I used to work for VS (two years ya'll!) and i hate to admit it but they do have great shit, best sweater i own is from the catalogue and its OLD and has lasted, plus their return policy is phenominal! only complaint is their swim suits which do not fit the large boobied well (unless you are in brazil or on a topless beach)

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a HUGE fan of VS clothes! And their shoes!! Oh, LOVE them! Sigh...now if only I had someplace to wear a fancy suit! :)

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    I have the opposite situation. I can only shop in the children's section, and I have to wear heels, just to fit my own pants.

    But that also means I've never spent more than $100 on an entire work outfit. I just hope no one notices the hot pink rayon liner inside my suit jacket...

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Sarah M said…

    Hi, you don't know me but I am an occasional visitor to your blog. I am also 6' and had given up on VS because their tall pants were only 34" which were still WAY too short for me. I am also in the market for a suit (just purchased at New York and Company but the quality just isn't there...) anyway, VS here I come because I just saw they have 36".
    Another problem. Dress shirts are NEVER long enough to tuck in! I have wondered about the VS dress-shirt body suit but think I could be in for some serious wedgies if there isn't enough stretch…

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Cindy Bean said…

    My friend Kami used to always buy stuff from the VS catalog when we were teenagers and I was always jealous because her mom let her. My mom made me get stuff at the Dress Barn.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Alice said…

    I wish I were taller. 5'7" would be great:) Then maybe my ghetto booty wouldn't be so pronounced.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger corinne said…

    betsy,
    banana republic and others discriminate against tall people. they have a complete "petite" store, or section, and the "tall" stuff they rarely carry - usually you have to order it online. It is as if we tall folks shouldn't be seen in shopping malls or something. hmph! anyway, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, that tall clothing is hard to find. i too have found that i have enjoyed vs in the past.
    love,
    a fellow tall girl

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    waahh wahhh waaaaah!
    "I'm statuesque and elegant and I look like a supermodel! I can't buy stuff that's long enough because my legs go up to HERE!"

    I use a stool to reach my dishes and the clothes on my shelves. You know who else does that? MIDGETS.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger bex said…

    ha ha ha. farrah. you're funny.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love VS clothes when I love my body but after a couple of kids I need to get back into shape to do those clothes some justice. I'm 6'2" and struggle to find tall clothes but I found another great place that has links to many tall clothing stores. I think it's called Tall Clothing Mall. I have noticed they link to tons of sales and deals too for those of us without extra cash to spend. I'm just grateful capris are still in this summer so I don't look like too much of a freak with my short pants....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home