the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Back from Australia is the new awesome

Well everyone, I'm home already! I have all sorts of photos and stories from the trip, but let's cut to the chase and give you the pictures that you are really expecting to see ....KANGAROOS!

Big kangaroos and little kangaroos. We saw them all.

My friend Quinn demonstrates how to befriend a wild kangaroo:
First give it a little food.
pat it gently on the neck.
when it seems comfortable with that, grab it forceably by the neck...
and force its fuzzy face into yours to make it look like it is kissing you.
Incidentally, this is also how I discovered that kangaroos don't bite. Because seriously, what self-respecting kangaroo would honestly allow you to grab it like that if i could defend itself?

The funniest thing was that often, after going and looking at a kangaroo or other exotic australian animals, the gift shops and restaurants all offered you the chance to eat them as well.

My trip was so much fun. I have decided that I love australia. Like the 'i could live there some day' kind of love for australia. Especially Melbourne. I loved that city.

Maybe that is because in a lot of ways it felt just like the United States, except that the accents are sexier, you can't buy a bottle of water for less than $2.50, and all of their toilets all have a weird dual flush option so that you can save water. (Don't tell anyone, but I was always too scared to do the half-flush option)

Sydney felt a lot like SF. They have a bridge and a bay and lots of stylish (sometimes gay) people hanging out all over their pretty pretty city.


also awesome?

i drove on the wrong side of the road (and car)

the beaches were lovely and you don't even have to wear a swimsuit if you don't want to! Also, budgie smugglers are totally encouraged ("budgie smuggler" is australian for speedo)

the street markets and shopping were awesome, and i got some great handmade stuff to show off at home
I saw the tiniest penguins in the world come ashore and waddle to their nests.

I went diving and snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, and found that all those fluorescent colors that Disneyland used in their 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea submarine ride are not just because they make the ride look more exciting, but are all totally true to life. Angel fish and clown fish really do just swim around in big colorful groups and giant clams really do have iridescent lips. It was completely amazing.
Australia, you and the 14 hour plane flight that I took totally rocked my world. I hope to see you again some day so soon, because I have a feeling there is a lot more to see and do.

11 Comments:

  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Steph said…

    welcome back! Glad you had a good time.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    How am I going to enjoy the 'roo jerky you brought me after reading this post about cute fuzzy kangaroos that let you put them in headlocks?

    Also, thanks for the Aussie version of US Weekly. I never realized Natalie Imbruglia was still so popular.

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Cindy Bean said…

    Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oy! Oy! Oy!

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger jared said…

    I would like to express how jealous and tired I am. The tired part has absolutely nothing to do with your trip to Australia, though

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    the southern hemisphere is so cool! Glad you are back!

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Blogger Alice said…

    After I went there I was determined to go back. So, I tried to migrate. But I didn't have enough points. I guess they don't need artists. I did get to climb the Sydney Harbor bridge, ride a camel named Alice in Alice Springs, and scuba on the great barrier reef even though I'm not licensed. I stuck my hand in a ginormous clam to get it to close, good think I retreated quickly or else I would be typing one-handed now.

    YAY, for Aussies. Welcome to the Australia fan club. I can't wait to see more photos.

    Who knows, maybe Jared and I will end up there after Switzerland. Google does have an office in Sydney:)

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger jocie said…

    sf wasn't the same without you, but traveling for work is lame.

    traveling for pleasure however, looks great. i'm glad that austrailia was lovely.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger MrsEm said…

    I'm inspired!

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg i think i see an aquabat!

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Newbury Park is always the last to know these things...

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    i'm deleriously jealous of this trip. Australia is right under Denmark on my top two list.

    so glad it was fun fun fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home