the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Shins are the new awesome

Last night, we decided to go see a show, so we hopped on the N-Judah and went down to Market Street. We almost settled for a show at the Market Street Cinema, where you can "see the beauty" and "touch the magic" ...

But then we saw this sign across the street at the Warfield and decided to go there insted.

The last time I saw the Shins, it was several years ago at Kilby Court, a venue approximately the size of my current apartment. (That means it is small.) So it was funny to see them in a venue with chandeliers and one million people this time around.

As if a $40 ticket price wasn't enough, if you look closely below you will notice that several of their "organic" shirts were selling for $50. $50? $50! Shins. Who do you think you are? That is the kind of stunt that some big band like the Rolling Stones would pull. Unless the shirt was previously sweat upon by one of the Shins. In which case, I could understand needing to charge a little more.

I really liked seeing these guys live again. It isn't even that they do anything all that special in their shows. There isn't that much rocktalk. They don't play obscure B-sides that you feel lucky to have ever heard live. The beauty of the Shins show is that everytime they start to play another song, your heart skips a beat and you get all excited and say "ohmygosh-i forgot that this was my favorite song!" Every time.
Grace, Me, Betsy and half of Steve's head all really, really enjoyed the show. I think in our own way we still got to see the beauty and touch the magic.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Sparklebot said…

    I saw this show in DC a few months ago and felt the same way. The Shins are magical live.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger robin marie said…

    so jealous! i've only seen them live on such acclaimed shows as the conan o'brien show...

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    It's James Mercer's voice. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I get the chills when he hits those high notes like it's nothing. Every time.

    Also one funny thing about the show was that Mr. Mercer looks amazingly similar to our friend Mark Elliot. For the first 1/2 of the show I thought Mark was singing to us.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    omg...two forks...last night i ate dinner at the table next to conan o'brien at pizza orgazmica. he's here taping a week of shows...take that NYC and LA! You're not the only city w/celebrities!

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Abby said…

    I just saw them live in Feb. it was awesome. They are so good live.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    is conan o'brien bigger or smaller than you thought he would be? that is my favorite thing about seeing celebrities-they are always so little.

    also, The Shins!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    I heart the Shins.

    And that yellow anthropologie sweater keeps taunting me. I should have bought it!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Conan was just as tall as you'd imagine but he didn't seem GIANT b/c he was the the skinniest person I've ever seen that close up. He was very clean...nice skin. The first thing I actually noticed about him (before I realized it was Conan) was his skin was like a beautiful porcelain dolly.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Morgan said…

    Ahh Kilby Court and The Shins. The memories come flooding back. My favorite part about seeing them at Kilby was the pre-concert tacos from the guy next to the Sears store. At least I remember it as a Sears. I could be mistaken.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um, $50???

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger jared said…

    becca, i think we both know what truly seeing the beauty and touching the magic is all about and it doesn't involve seeing a band that charges exorbitant amounts of money for t-shirts.


    shame on you for blaspheming the sacred phrase.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    The Shins and Lily Allen played in LA last week (for NPR's KCRW, bytheway), but I missed it due to the extreme dizzies. LAME.

    I have had a major crush on Conan since the early 90s. I am glad to hear he has aged so perfectly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home