the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, February 26, 2007

Collecting Art is the new awesome

I've am highly aware that I have some talented friends, and have made attempts to collect some of their art work over the past year or so. Among the favorites in my collection are:
Amanda Lynch

Mark Elliot

Jared Purrington

Mike Kelly




















But I finally have the crowning piece for my collection. A Granteeny.

I know I have made mention of this blog before, but didn't really give it the shoutout that it truly deserved, because it really is one of the best blogs out there. Granteeny, a 3 year old artist living in Seattle, depends on his dad to post his recent works and offer a critical analysis.

My piece is called "When the Sun Grows Up He'll Get Blue," and the accompanying critique reads: "The first tinges of blue have already started to seep into the sun's core, sapping it of its warmth. Its last rays hurdle off into space. Is this a depiction of the sun's eventual death; the slow transformation into a black dwarf? Or could it be a metaphor for that particular form of teenage malaise that is so prevelent in small towns? Either way, it is a weighty subject for a 3 year old, but it is handled deftly."

Some of my other favorite works of his that you should probably check out:
An Alien Named Can Penrod Chan
A Guy That Doesn't Want to Crash into That Star
Fluxus Performance #2
Untitled metapainting

Don't be afraid to check out the archives. This site is brilliant.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, Blogger HeatherLynn said…

    lady! i love children's art so much! i collect japanese children's art (it started with this great book i found on the street in nyc then went from there). this little kid=perfect! thanks for sharing. your newest acquisition is, for sure, a keeper for years to come. i wonder what the little guy will evolve into?

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger robin marie said…

    this kid lives in seattle!??!?! maybe i can get a job working for him... do you think he needs a publicist?

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger m-l-e said…

    You have extremely good tastes, my friend. Amanda's art is amazing.. and it's getting a lot of notice in SF these days. Hang on to that baby!

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Frozen Okie said…

    granteeny is my favorite blog. hands down.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Two Forks, he could use a publicist, I get a little overwhelmed wearing the critic, webmaster, dad hat.

    I'll have to actually get around to posting some more of his art soon. Thanks!

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger bex said…

    joe - is the new baby going to be an artist too?

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    Bex,
    I don't know if Evie is going to be an artist. I think we will push for Med School so she can help support her starving artist brother.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I Heart Granteeny. I've been admiring his blog for months and absolutely adore it! I wonder what the rest of us non-contest-winners would have to do to get some of his pieces.... anyone?

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    that granteeny blog is just about one of my favorite things on the net.

    but also, holy eff you have some talented artist friends! i have a couple of Mike Kelly's of my own that i love so so much.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Heidikins,
    Grant is open to bartering.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Mark Elliot said…

    Jabba the Hut, Jar Jar Binks, Gweto? No, "Can Penrod Chan". There is no better name.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home