the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Roughing it is the new awesome

Maybe you remember that I totally love the earth lately. To continue down the path of becoming a full fledged hippie I agreed to go camping with Steve this past weekend. Steve told me I needed to secure myself a sleeping bag (some twenty degree something or other) and an LED headlamp. Here is the sleeping bag I bought that met all the specifications that I was instructed to meet.


And here is my LED headlamp that met all the specifications that I was instructed to meet.


It wasn't until I proudly displayed my new camping gear for Steve that I realized there were other, unspoken rules about purchasing camping gear.
One: Apparently my Coleman sleeping bag was the ProWings of sleeping bags and instead, I should have asked the bum that lives across the street from my apartment if I could borrow his for the weekend.
Two: Apparently I should have known the headlamp I purchased was giant.
Whatever, how is a non-camper suppose to know that? So after much heckling and embarrassment I returned said gear to Target and hit up Brigham to borrow his sweet sleeping bag and head lamp.

We set off on a beautiful Friday afternoon...



We had a bit of a rough start only because everyone else in America was driving north on 101 as well but about three hours later we ended up in Hendy Woods State Park.


Steve was in charge of all the gear and I was in charge of our camping cuisine. See how organized (OCD) I can be when I really set my mind to it?


The highlight of our camping cuisine were these foil dinners we made. Potatoes, carrots, onions, chicken and cream of mushroom soup...


...cooked over an open fire turned out to be one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten.


We spent Saturday hiking.


And looking at giant redwood trees.


Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, this is the type of headlamp that is acceptable to camping snobs all across the land.


Other highlights of our weekend were s'mores, that my borrowed North Face sleeping bag was called "The Goliath," and the fact that we didn't get attacked by any coastal bears.

After two days of roughing it I felt a little bit like this...


Now that I'm an expert in all things outdoors, I may just try and rally the SF troops for a huge camping expedition sometime this summer. The next thing I plan on becoming an expert in: Dutch oven cooking.

11 Comments:

  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Judy Neil said…

    oh yay! Those foil dinners look tastey. yum.

    I have some good dutch oven recipes, but some are just in my head and not on paper. When you're ready, let me know and I can maybe scribe them.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger bex said…

    the caption over the first photo of you and steve technically says "We spent Saturday hiking" but from the looks of the photo, it probably should have said "We spent Saturday hugging."

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    camping = dirty hugging
    and i don't mean dirty sexy, i mean dirty dirt.

    juder that would be awesome! currently i'm most interested in dutch oven recipes that include canned fruit and white box cake mix.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Judy Neil said…

    what about yellow cake? much tastier than white. I think yellow is my favorite flavor.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    right! yellow is what i was thinking in my head...yes, yellow it is! let the recipes begin!

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger nathaniel said…

    betsy, you can't let your peers convince you that having a bigger headlamp than everybody else is some kind of abnormality. instead, you need to embrace it as a blessing, and realize that in reality they are jealous of your huge headlamp and how much brighter it shines than theirs.

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    Next step in your hippie conversion... Protesting

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger bex said…

    i don't know if it was so much jealousy, seeing as betsy's headlamp was so big that it was throwing off her balance, and she kept falling headfirst into things.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uhh. . . .for a proper dutch oven you need start by having the sleeping bags that zip together. . . . .

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Veeda said…

    I love love love foil dinners. I love them so much I have made them in my own oven.

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Frenchy Renee said…

    one lemon cake mix (or yellow)
    one can of sprite
    one can of peaches

    mix in dutch oven

    let sit till golden brown

    then eat

     

Post a Comment

<< Home