the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A slave to fashion is the new awesome

In the past few years, I have started to notice how much all this fashion magazine brainwashing really works. How often did I look back at the 80's and roll my eyes at the fashion distaster that I considered that decade? And when all the runway models and fashionistas in New York started sporting the pointy toe in the early 2000s, I wrinkled my nose and wondered at the state of the fashion world.

Yet back in 2003, what became a staple of my wardrobe? Pointy toed shoes. Pointy flats, pointy heels, pointy heels that were almost flat. All my shoes were pointy, pointy, pointy.

The same thing happened with the skinny jean. I would stare at the size 0 models sporting them and shake my head, telling people that only anorexics could pull that style off. Yet a year later, what did you see when you opened my drawers? Skinny jeans in droves. Some of them even have zippers at the ankle. I am literally living the fashion life that my 1984 self had envisioned.

So now I am scared, because what are all the magazines flaunting right now? High-waisted pants.


I think they look strange and elongate funny parts of a woman's body. They seem awfully 70's to me. I can't stand tucking shirts into pants. But I am already starting to like the high-waisted look on skirts, so I can tell that 6 months from now I am probably going to be eating my words with a big, fat high-waisted spoon.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger k8 said…

    i won't. i can't.

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger bex said…

    you say that now. we all say that now. (crossing our fingers that we mean it this time, right?)

    i think that this might be the test. "they" keep coming up with more ridiculous fashion trends to see if we all buy in.

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Cindy Bean said…

    I got a magazine the other day that had the cutest high-waisted yellow skirt and I wanted to make it. I felt so twisted inside.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger bex said…

    i know. turns out, i think the devil really DOES wear Prada.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    i can't get onboard with skinny jeans unless you're a size sub-zero model who is 6' tall. or maybe if you're as small and skinny as a mouse. no seriously, i think skinny jeans would look super cute on mice and also small skinny dogs like milo and tatanka.

    i do like the high waist on a skirt. i think it's really pretty and feminine

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Damian said…

    I have a pretty good idea that if the gals of this net-site start wearing it, then it will take off.

    Remember my idea for the high-fashion ballet toe slipper. Sure it didn't make it, but close.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger m-l-e said…

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!1

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Maria Petrova said…

    the thing is, fashion is made for, and shown on, extremely frail frames, on whom literally anything looks good. not the case with normal people. a high-waisted skirt, on the other hand, is timeless.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Not the high waisted pant! What would the "What Not to Wear" people think? They are working so hard for change...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home