the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bible Parties are the new awesome

I have always loved a good themed party. Maybe even when I am at a party I need the structure that an assignment gives? All I know is that when my friend John told us that his birthday party was going to require us all to dress up like someone/thing from the book of Genesis I went running for my Bible, all excited. Who has Bible themed dress-up parties? Genius.

There were many good costume ideas tossed around. Lot's wife (after she turned into the pillar of salt, or course). The Fourth Day. Adam and/or Eve (a flesh-colored body suit with stragically placed fig leaves would have been pretty neat). But I didn't have as much time as I wanted to prepare my costume, so I sort of did a cop out and went as Rebekah, so that, you know, I could pretty much just be myself. I did carry around a camel all night. And I had a button that said "Daughter of Bethuel" and another that said "very fair to look upon." Still. For as much as I just talked about loving dress up parties, I know that this was sort of a poor showing:

Amanda and Casey decided to be sharks. I have never heard of any sharks in the entire Bible, let alone in Genesis, but they tried to insist that there must have been some in Noah's Ark. When I pointed out that faulty logic, (duh, the sharks probably all stayed in the water during the flood, hanging out with the whales and eating all the stuff that didn't make it on the ark) they changed their story and said that they were actually the day when God created the waters and all the moving creatures in it. I think they just wanted to be sharks and had to just work it in however they could.

John's costume was probably the most interesting and well thought out - his is taken from Genesis 3:15 where it talks about being able to crush the head of the devil while he will only have power to bruise your heel. So John? Was a bruised heel.

It should be noted that there were many other costumes that did not get recorded by my camera, but that is probably because I was too busy rocking out to Genesis (the band) who provided the soundtrack for the evening. The early stuff, of course. It just fit with the theme.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Cindy Bean said…

    This must have been Rebekah Pre-Jacob & Esau.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger robin marie said…

    that party sounds like it was off the chain!!!! props for rockin out to genesis!! (and there are no sharks in the bible!)

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger HeatherLynn said…

    this is the BEST theme party EVER! i'm completely laughing with all you clever folk! fabulous!

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Ashlynn {mamabear} said…

    Why can't people have fun parties here?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home