the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, July 31, 2006

Mountain Top weddings are the new awesome


Although I know my last post made it sound like maybe i went to Utah solely to visit DI and find a photo of my long lost college friend, the truth is that I went out for the wedding of one of my not so long lost college friends.

Kim (on the right) married this guy Jason (middle on the left) on the top of a mountain in Park City, so of course I had to go and see it happen.





I used the trip as a great excuse to see a lot of people that I have been missing. I even got to go get all paparazzi and take photos of the brand-new baby of brendan and veeda. Take that, Brangelina and TomKat - you guys think your baby is cute, but you have not seen Mei yet. Just wait til I sell these photos to US Weekly.

I also visited Jeff Thomas in his sweet bachelor pad with his art deco bathroom. Not only does Jeff live alone in a huge place that costs half of what I pay in rent in SF, he has a neat peephole on his front door to make sure that he doesnt let in just anyone.

I had a lot of wedding related parties to attend over the weekend. The bachelorette party began with some burritos at the Red Iguana, involved scandalous activities in a hotel room, and ended up at Port O'Call.

Amber and I were so excited, because we had been wanting to visit Port O' Call since our sophomore year in college when all of our UofU friends talked it up so much. I think it was everything we had ever dreamed it would be, right Amber?

I took a small detour in the middle of the bachelorette festivites to see Earl Scruggs play as part of this cool Twilight Concert Series downtown. Aside from wanting to see the man who made banjo history, I also needed to visit the funniest mom i know, Kim Dubois and her mohawk baby Liam.

Special bonus surprise: best friends Stephen and Dan. I love these guys.

Aaron and I made a point to visit several of the weirdest places in SLC, which of course had to include Gilgal Garden and the Joseph Smith sphinx.

Gilgal is this great garden full of scriptural sculptures, all made by Thomas Battersby Child, Jr. (pictured below in the sweet brick pants) in the mid-twentieth century. It is one of my favorite SLC spots.


The actual wedding itself took place up in Deer Valley. Dianna, Amber and I were sort of hoping that the bride and groom would come down the mountain on that ski lift for a more dramatic entrance, but they walked in like normal people.

the lovely bride, now officially kim wedlick.

On Sunday, Caroline King decided to throw Soul Food Sunday, and everyone donned their aprons to get cooking some grits n' fried chicken.
Not just aprons. Bonnets as well. Elin tells us those are coming back big.
How do you know it was Soul Food Sunday? Because Damian and Stacey brought the pigs feet.


Dave is pretty excited about the tasty treat, obviously.

The other dave is seemingly excited about a different treat.


We took a parting shot with all the SFsters past and present.

Bye, SLC. Try to show my roommate as good a time when she comes out next weekend.

10 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i hope hoping to see a picture of the dumpster behind that church where mark left that mattress.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger bex said…

    oh, I have that photo, lori h. It was one of the highlights of the 'weirdest spots in slc' part of the weekend. I just didn't know if the readers of the new awesome would be able to handle the gruesome details of the Mark Hacking tour

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're probably right. it's not really blog material. i'm glad that you went though, because it seems like a lot of people have forgotten about me.

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    kylie, not to worry. you will be featured on my utah post next week.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger bex said…

    seriously. utah is too big for me to tackle alone. i had to send betsy for damage control next week

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Damian said…

    you had a lot of fun while here. You couldn't possibly have done one more fun thing than that. No sir. Not on your best saturday monring, not with some of the funnest lovers in the world. Not even.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger bex said…

    oh manf. you are going to spoil the grand finale post!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger jordan said…

    That last picture of all the former SFers makes a tear come to my eye.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's too bad you deleted all of our ugly pictures from the trip. Today is Blackmail Day and I really could have used those.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Big Bear Weddings said…

    Great article about Big Bear Weddings. I really like your blog very much and also share this article with my friends and keep it up

     

Post a Comment

<< Home