the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, July 31, 2006

DI is the new awesome

I just got back from a trip to Utah, which we all know would never be complete without a trip to DI. Deseret Industries, the LDS-run thrift store, has got “Bargains to DI for,” just like their awesome billboards promise. They price all of their clothing the same, no matter what name brand they are sporting, so if you hunt around you can find some great deals. And they are the best place to find old LDS epherma and books and movies from the 70s when all sorts of crazy videos like "Cipher in the Snow" or "Prime the Pump" were still being produced.

Anyway, I was in the picture frame section, and picked up a family portrait still in its cheap gold frame, wondering why someone would donate their family photo to the thrift store.

Then I looked closer, and realized that I recognized one of the people in the photo. A baby-faced Steve Young (no, not THAT Steve Young) from my freshman year of college stared up at me from the frame. Sure enough, I took the photo out of the frame and "The Youngs, 1993" was scrawled on the back. So I took the photo with me.



Steve Young from my freshman year of college - I have not seen you in 10 years, but i just found a photo of you as a 14 year old in a portrait with your family in a thrift store on a random trip to SLC. This makes me feel so strange. We all know that Utah makes the world feel like a small place, but this is ridiculous.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Damian said…

    If that is all that you did while you were here, then the trip was a success.

    Surely you didn't have more fun than that!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    I think that's stealing.

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger jordan said…

    weird.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Steph said…

    are you going to send it to him?

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger bex said…

    i would send it to him if i could figure out where he is these days. unfortunately, googling him isnt all that easy.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just look him up on the BYU Alumni directory. That definetely narrows the field. If you know his middle initial or his graduation date you'll be in business. If not you might still be able to make a reasonable guess. And I'm sure Steve would be overjoyed to have a photo of him at 14 returned.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    anonymous always knows what to do. 3 cheers for anon!

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger bex said…

    either that or Anonymous is a total stalker. Thanks for the tip, anon. I think you are right. Steve is probably wishing he had this photo right now, and it is up to me to return it to him!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home