the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Leather jackets are the new awesome

I always thought that the reason people that ride motorcycles wear leather is because it is super stylish and protects you from wind and cold and scarring if/when you fall on the pavement.

Despite knowing these benefits, I ignored this cardinal rule of motoring the other day when i went running errands on my scooter. Leather or nothing, that's what i always say. Instead I wore a cute skirt and short sleeve shirt because it was so hot outside. WAY too hot for a jacket. But then as I was scooting down Haight, I felt a stinging IN MY ARMPIT, and almost crashed as I flailed to make the stinging stop. It hurt so bad. I never saw the bug that bit/stung me, but it left a big red itchy mark.



Bugs. As if we needed more great excuses to wear leather.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:04 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    hi, found your blog off a link from http://jordanferney.blogspot.com/, and ive been having fun reading it. just wanted to say hi!

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger bex said…

    thanks for reading, sara. my roommate likes to stitch and bitch and i like sporks, so i think we are all going to get along just fine. the more people i have that are sympathetic to my armpit bite, the better!

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    bug bite update: it's getting worse!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    put some ice on that bug bite!

    and maybe i can smuggle some nifty swiss sporks into the US when i come to visit in October.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    (realizing that perhaps that last comment makes me sound like a crazy stalker, im not actually coming to California to visit you, my parents live in Davis)

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    sara, i graduated from UC Davis!!!

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger David said…

    perhaps instead of constricting leather, you could go with liberating bug spray?

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw, i'm sorry you were stung (bitten?). You should probably go leather when you ride from now on, but what i mean by leather is actually a homemade jacket of exoskeletal remains, fashioned from spent bee carcases. This would satisfy your love for a) taxidermy, b) sewing your own clothes, c) being tough, and d) sweet revenge! (If only the revenge were as sweet as that urban honey we tried last month!) But then... what if the bee read your blog here and felt badly about stinging you so carelessly--how would this bee go about making-it-up-to-you?

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    No way! what a small world. My dad teaches there (in the Department of Environmental Science and Policy, but he is a math-y type). I grew up there and left town in 1998

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger bex said…

    thank you for the symphathy and suggestions everyone. you will be glad to know that my massive sting/bite has officially healed, and i have forgiven my sharp-butted flying friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home