the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Pride is the new awesome

The large pink triangle appeared on Twin Peaks above our house this weekend



and I heard that leather sales in the city went up 20%


...all telltale signs that San Francisco has been celebrating SF Pride 2006.

Sure enough, the parade this year was as colorful as always. Everyone comes in their finest Pride gear (for some that means political/social tee-shirts with educational messages on them, and for others that means just feathers).

This is our 'cool' mayor, Gavin Newsom. Everyone likes him because he is young and single and good looking and liberal. The single mom in front of me kept pushing her son forward saying, "wave at the mayor, son."



This is a group of dancers called the Barbary Coast cloggers that I wish this blurry video did justice. It is Brokeback Mountain meets your mother's tuesday night clogging club. They all wore these cute matching sleeveless plaid shirts and jumped around in time to their rockin country tunes.


And didn't I tell you that we don't believe in sensible shoes here in SF?

I too was in the parade, riding in the BARTmobile! and look - what a cute hat he is wearing.


wait. we ALL get to wear beanies with propellers on top?


mine looked a lot like a yalmulka with a propeller on top. I am not sure this is what i signed up for. I am pretty sure I was on television wearing this thing.

The best part of the parade was this guy:
He had been dancing by the BARTmobile while we were getting ready to start the parade route, and I had told him that he should come along to be BART's official dancer. So he did - and the crowd loved him. Yes, he was wearing a mesh tanktop and highwaisted silky shorts. Yes, he was dancing all over the street and pinching the nipples of any of the men there without their shirts on (which drew attention away from me and the silly hat i was wearing). And yes, next year I will probably give him a beanie of his own to wear.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger jordan said…

    So wait, you were in a GAY parade? On a SUNDAY?

    Where do I start with what is wrong with this picture?

    I love you Rebecca, no matter who you are.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Two things:

    Great spelling job: yalmulka.

    BART Mobile looks so cute in his beanie!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, I want one-a them beanies.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger bex said…

    do you want the beanie in BARTmobile size? Or yalmulka size?

    and i am sure our dancer could offer fashion/dancing/style advice. I have his contact info. Don't worry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home