the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Mix Cd Contests are the new awesome

My friend brigham and i have been making mix cds for eachother since before there were even cds to make mixes on and we had to use those old fashioned tape things. it has become quite a tradition over the years.

After brigham's recent visit to San Francisco, we decided to step our mix-making abilites up a notch, and have a mix-making contest created and judged by none other than the lovely Betsy.

We were given a theme and a deadline:

Songs that rocked your world...until you played them 10,000 times too many

and these are the mixes that were created and exchanged:

i used to love you but its all over now
by brigham barnes

Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Pacman - Sifl and Olly
The Percolator - Casjmere
Daft Punk is Playing at My House - LCD Soundsystem
Girl Don't Tell Me - Beach Boys
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees - Cats
Seven - Prince
Block Rockin' Beats - Chemical Brothers
Can I Have It Like That - Pharrel ft. Gwen Stefani
Apply Some Pressure - Maximo Park
Just - Mark Ronson's version of the Radiohead song
I Luv U - Dizzee Rascal
Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
The Arrested Development Theme
Baby Baby - Amy Grant

my ears are bleeding
by rebecca gholdston


(since birth)* Fun, Fun, Fun - the Beach Boys
(1991) * Straight Up - Paula Abdul
(1992) * To Be With You - Mr. Big
(1993) * Laid - James
(1994) * Basket Case - Green Day
(1995) * Corduroy - Pearl Jam
(1996) * He Wants Me Back - Dance Hall Crashers
(1997) * Jolene - Spring Heeled Jack
(1998) * Traffic Tickets - the Gadjits
(1999) * The Story of Nothing - the Aquabats
(2000) * Não Tô Entendendo - P.O.Box
(2001) * New Slang - the Shins
(2002) * King of Carrot Flowers - Neutral Milk Hotel
(2003) * Going to Marrakesh - Extra Glenns (Mountain Goats)
(2004) * Epitaph For My Heart - the Magnetic Fields
(2005) * Romulus - Sufjan Stevens
(2006) * Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games - Of Montreal


I made mine a sort of anthology of the music of my life, unabashedly documenting my brief dip into monster ballads and my serious ska/punk years. I think Brigham's cd was very effective, because it has made me start listening to the Beach Boys' "Girl Don't Tell Me" over and over and over.

Betsy still has to judge the cds, but you are welcome to download them here and rock out til your own ears bleed:
(available for download for a very short time ...)

i used to love you but its all over now

my ears are bleeding

10 Comments:

  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Brigham said…

    Wow, so that's what the CD looks like? I can't wait to get it!

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That second cd mix was a remarkably honest mix. I am actually very impressed with it.

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Cache said…

    hey i have heard of you guys. i don't really have a creative way of saying nice blog.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger marshall p said…

    oooo. I'm so excited by this new technology. for a long time I have been thinking that the people we know with blogs should get it together with a CD-mix exchange of some kind. I would really like to do this if only I knew how. Maybe Becca could be some kind of coordinator/facilitator/blablahnator of this? or something.

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger marshall p said…

    p.s. turns out I cannot listen to that Amy Grant song. ever.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger marshall p said…

    here's my other question... how did you narrow it down to just 15 (or so)?

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger bex said…

    i think a cd exchange would be fun! good idea mp. maybe we will turn it into a blog-wide challenge ..

    does the file not open for you webbs? do you guys have the file unzipping software? or maybe i did just make it apple friendly (says the girl who knows nothing of computers)

     
  • At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your next assignment?

    http://movies.collegehumor.com/items/2005/10/collegehumor.1613494.mov

    Love,
    keith

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger marshall p said…

    yeah, I was trying to put together my own list of songs. kind of.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no. that would not be ok. it would be dishonest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home