the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Sunday, July 22, 2007

I TOLD you that weddings and all that stuff is the new awesome

Last week I headed to LA to attend my baby sister's wedding. I wanted to have one Last Night Out On The Town with her, but she had other things going on, so I enjoyed her LNOOTT without her.

Which is really a pity, since Jared even wore his robot suit to go dancing in.

To make up for it, I took Kathryn and Jake to get manicures and pedicures before the Big Day instead. This, of course, isn't the first time we have put the MAN in MANicure on the blog (right, Brigham?) but this might be the best MANicure face ever recorded while a boy gets a pedicure.

They got married Saturday morning. I am sure the the real photographer will have some better photos, but I got a few of them looking cute coming out of the temple. Ak! They are so cute. And look at her dress - peace out, billions of yards of satin. I am loving the tea length look with the cute jacket. Just sassy and kind of casual.

My beautiful baby sister, the bride.

No one ever talks about the things that go wrong at weddings. We had a few minor mishaps that might have made any ordinary bride cry, but that my sister just sort of took in stride. Like my brother's suit; he flew in a few hours before the wedding, only to find that his suit was totally sized incorrectly (as illustrated by the 2 pillows we could shove in his shirt).

Or my sister's new wedding shoes - we were all ready to have her walk out in her wedding dress for the first time, and found that one of the shoes still had the magnetic security tag stuck in the heel. Luckily we had a knife on hand, and we just cut the thing out. Kathryn just laughed about it, even as we were taking a knife to her bridal shoes. What a champ.



This is a shot of the groom and all of his good-looking groomsmen. This pic was taken right as Jake had announced that he wanted everyone to try to pose like a bunch of guys in a Boy Band.

I'd like to just feature a close-up of my brother (you know. the Navy Seal) and exactly what he did when asked to make a Boy Band pose:

How do they get the groomsmen all looking so put together? Zipper ties. They don't want anyone messing with the symmetry and tying some huge double windsor, or having some sort of tie-tying emergency at a critical moment during the wedding. High class.

We just had the reception in the backyard of the LaBass home, and took some inspiration from Jordan's blog to make it a perfect party.

The lanterns in the trees were just lovely.

The first thing I noticed when walking into the reception was these buckets. I got a little nervous, because they aren't technically hog troughs, but I was thinking that maybe my sister might have improvised in a pinch.

Luckily they were filled with Izze soda later in the evening, so they weren't used for my humiliation after all.

My parents were a little taken aback when my sister spit in the face of tradition and chose to put out trays of yummy pastries in lieu of a wedding cake, but that didn't stop them from still getting a cheesy plastic bride and groom and sticking it on the plate of goodies when she wasn't looking.

Congratulations, Jake and Kathryn Wyatt! You are beautiful.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger jordan said…

    I can't believe it was this weekend! That came fast! Everything looked beautiful..Hooray and congrats!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger jocie said…

    having your little sister get married before you is the new awesome. welcome to a very distiguished club.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger bex said…

    i'm sure i'll join the 'having your little sister have babies before you' club too soon, jocie, so save me a spot.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger jared said…

    so, that's your brother, the navy seal. Here i've been crapping my pants this whole time about how scary he must be and now i find out he's just the cutest little guy ever. i'll challenge him to a steven seagal/tommy lee jones-esque knife fight any day. you tell him what i said, just none of that sneak up behind me covered in mud break my neck shit, that's just cheap.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger each of the two said…

    i think i might be the president or at least a grand poo-bah of the MY YOUNGER SISTER IS MARRIED, OWNING A HOME AND HAVING BABIES BEFORE ME club. and with that came my unknowing membership to the EXTENDED FAMILY CONSTANTLY ASKING WHEN I AM GETTING MARRIED, BUYING A HOME AND HAVING BABIES club,

    the first is unsettleing but cool and the second sucks really hard.
    especially as i am only in my MID twenties and my Sis is doin it all early on in life.

    for some reason my southern catholic baby squirting family hasnt noticed that i am also a member of the
    GOT MY MASTERS OF FINE ARTS BEFORE THIRTY, LIVED IN OVER 5 STATES AND 2 COUNTIES WITH MORE STAMPS ON MY PASSPORT THAN ALL OF YOU PUT TOGETHER club

    HA, jokes on them...

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger bex said…

    I want to join your clubs, EachoftheTwo. Seriously.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger each of the two said…

    ok,
    membership fees involve Paying It Forward and qualifications are as the namesake suggests but not exclusive to, and may be modified out of sheer desire to belong.

    click your heels 3 times and your in!

    p.s. making up your own clubs for no particular reason but to feel good is a definite!

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Britt said…

    Seeing as how I am the youngest of four girls, I will never join that club. However my sister who is 1.5 years older than me has three kids (count them three) and owns a house. And my other sister is currently owning her THIRD house. So maybe I should be in the everyone-is-grown-up-except-for-me club. I try to be grown-up, I really do. But vacationing to four continents within a year isn't fooling anyone.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Tannertrue said…

    What a rip off. I was expect a pig trough dance...

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger m-l-e said…

    Forget your sis. YOU look adorable! remember, marriage and baby having make you age really fast! stay young!

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aww, rebecca, kathryn's wedding looked so sweet. i had to check the blog to see this amazing girl who didn't complain in the face of wedding adversities. i, like tanner, am still a little disappointed there were izzes in the hog-troughs instead of you though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home