the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Neighborly Notes are the new awesome

If you have ever tried to park in San Francisco, you know the pain of driving in circles until you want to cry out of frustration, the art of parking 17 blocks from wherever you were trying to get to in the first place (even when you might live 20 blocks away) and the inevitable parking tickets that drive many to give up cars in the city altogether (myself included). My scooter has eliminated much of this headache for me, but opened up a new world of parking experiences.

On Saturday night I was at a party in a neighborhood that is tough to find parking in, and ended up leaving my scooter on the sidewalk so that I would not take up any precious street space. When I came outside to my scooter a few hours later, there was a weird painting propped on the seat, with this note attached:

(If you can't read it, the note says "Thanks for parking on the sidewalk! love, grateful car parkers : ) )

Unfortunately, nice neighbors are not the only people that will leave you notes if you park on the sidewalk. The DPT left me this one:

(If you can't read it, the note says "Thanks for parking on the sidewalk! You owe us $100.)

I might side with the nice car parkers if they would invest in some high-quality art work instead of that red swirly thing.

11 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i kinda like the red swirly thing... good bathroom peice if nothing else.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    no no no...bex is not allowed to put dirty art she gets on the street in our bathroom anymore.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what betsy doesn't want to admit is that the old lady in the hat is something she painted in college, found in a box in her room, and left it by the door hoping someone would take it forever. but that someone was rebecca.

    my guess for the new painting is that rebecca painted it in college and then gave it to herself along with the note so that she wouldn't feel as bad about the ticket. may i ask if that's ticket #1 or a new one?

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Looks like a painting of a swatch of floral fabric. It's the thought that counts.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Lee said…

    Perhaps the painting and note were left by the same person that left the ticket. Someone who appreciates your rebellion, but alas is stuck in a job that requires him or her to give you a ticket. There was a moral dilemma in her or his head, and him or her satisfied both sides of the dilemma.

    (or, maybe I just wanted to prove that I still do read your blog and so I wrote this)

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    hey... stick it to the man... I just got out of $184 in tickets this morning! viva la revolution!!!!

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Cindy Bean said…

    Oh my gosh, you have a stalker! Some guy has been in love with you from afar and has been wanting to talk to you in some way or another and he saw your scooter parked on the sidewalk and was like, "This is my chance!"

    I know that this is the case because this is behavior that I would exhibit if I had a crush on a guy who lived outside of my apartment and drove a scooter. In fact, I have done this sort of thing, only to our mailman. He is so cute. Jane and I leave him presents on all the holidays that mailmen still work such as St. Patrick's Day and Hot Mailman Day. We leave him presents that say "To the Hot Mailman" and whatnot.

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger bex said…

    aaron. it's ticket #1.

    and i don't totally dislike the red swirly print ... i just wouldn't have paid $100 for it, which seems to be the trading price here. I actually think it makes a nice companion piece to Old Lady in a Straw Hat, and will be currently showing both works in my bedroom. Or the bathroom the next time bets goes out of town.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    SF parking frustration: $0.00
    random red swirly artwork: $0.00
    enjoyment at party: $0.00
    parking ticket: $100.00
    New Awesome Blog Post: Priceless.

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Blogger M.A. said…

    Stupid tickets.

    Just more stuff convincing me I could never afford to live in the Bay area.

    dang expensive bay area beckoning me with its perfect weather and fancy pants hipsters.
    San Francisco, city of my birth, I shake my fist at you.

     
  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger TRS said…

    I kind of like the painting.

    Be grateful you got that... instead of this: http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/97/15/01_2.JPG

    That's what my sis-in-law's mom gave me for Christmas - why? I have no idea!

    At least yours takes up little space!
    Never give a person who lives in under 800 sq ft something that needs to be stored 11 months of the year!

    Wanna trade?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home