the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Solitude is the new awesome

Okay. I hadn't finished talking about my trip to Utah yet. Because what is the use in going to Utah if you don't get a little time in the snow, right? A group of us headed up to Solitude over the weekend for a lovely day on the slopes.

I hadn't planned to snowboard, so I didn't have any of my gear. Luckily I borrowed enough sweet snowboard stuff from the natives to keep me nice and warm. Jeff even lent me his long underwear. That's true friendship.

I also hadn't packed my contacts, which meant having to wear my glasses underneath my googles. I felt a little ridiculous at first, but after sporting the look all day long, I have a feeling it is going to catch on and be the next big thing in snowboarding.

Luckily I went with a bunch of good looking girls, Maren, Haley and Claire. It isn't easy to still look cute on the hill when you are windburned and wearing big puffy clothing.

Actually, I should have been a little more specific and called Claire a Cool Thang' instead of just a good looking girl, since that is what her skis said she was. Obviously.

Eventually you just give up on trying to make everyone on the mountain think that you are cool. Some of us suffered from severe hat hair when the day was up, and some of us actually benefited from wearing a beanie all day long

All I know is that the snow was good, and the day was pretty.



Grant and Jared had a little fight about who was the more hardcore snowboarder. It may look like Jared is winning in this photo, but that is just because I didn't get a photo of him falling backwards over his snowboard.

The only casualty of the day, even with all the time in the park going off jumps and sliding on rails, was when Claire sliced her hand and didn't realize she was bleeding til she left bloody handprints in the snow. We thought we had a crisis on our hands, til she went to ask the lift guy for a band-aid and while we were standing there he got hit in the back of the head with a lift chair, and started bleeding from the head. After that Claire just put her hand in her glove and headed down the mountain.

I can hardly wait to go back to Utah in a few weeks and do this again. The hat hair is worth it.

(more pics)

6 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Steph said…

    I went skiing at Solitude while I was in Utah as well; it was great.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Hey, I was up to Solitude on Monday! Small world!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger bex said…

    i was going to say that i like it up there because it is less crowded than some of the other resorts, but look at all the people that were there this weekend!

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Steve said…

    dang... I went to Utah and did not get to experience that famous snow...
    So... how much sick air did you get?

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Damian said…

    nothing says fun like "cold and bloody".

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger jared said…

    Becca, solitude is NOT the new awesome. It makes me sad to hear you type things like that. we shouldn't revel in our inherent loneliness.

    That is why you should get a cat or ten. You'll see, solitude isn't nearly as new awesome as all the deep and meaningful relationships you'll build with dependently domesticated quadrupeds that will never think of you as needy or obsessive, and then, when you do go out in public you can talk about their crazy antics as if they were real people, and before long you'll be known endearingly as "the cat lady".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home