the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, October 30, 2006

Birthday Girls are the new awesome

Guess whose birthday it is today? This girl:

Maybe you recognize her? She runs half marathons. She kills spiders with the greatest of ease. She owns cuter shoes than anyone I know. She is my roommate.

What do you do on your roommate's birthday? Bake her a cake. I bought some neat pans that help you make a checkerboard cake like this:

So I made two mixes full of cake batter and dyed them orange and black:

And put on my checkered vans to really channel my checkered martha stewart:

Then we poured the batter into the sneaky separating cake pan thingie...
and when you take the plastic thing out of the pan, it makes perfectly seperated cake parts, which when baked and stacked on top of one another, make a checkerboard cake!


You don't get to see the final result quite yet, but it will probably come out looking a lot like this:

Come by the apartment tonight if you want to see what checkerboard tastes like.

Happy Birthday, Betsy!

14 Comments:

  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want some!

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Lee said…

    Happy Birthday, betsy.

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger bex said…

    good thing that friendster reminded me this morning that it was your bday, roommate, or i think i might have forgotten

    cake for all!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy happy birthday!! Too bad I'm Nicole Richie for Halloween and I don't eat cake or I'd stop by. :)

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    happy birthday, bets!!

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh man, i WISH i could come taste checkerboard cake. if only i had access to a private jet...

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETS!

    we love you and want you to have a great day. have fun!

    (does aaron have access to a private jet? he seems to be able to go to san francisco a lot and i want that access!)

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger k8 said…

    betSY! betSY! betSY!
    happy birthday! I'm sure glad Friendster didn't let me forget either ; )

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger m-l-e said…

    my old ROOMATE stole my checkerboard cake pan.
    rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    umm. BETSY is the new awesome..

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i just had a checker board cake for my birthday 2 weeks ago---it was red/white & delicious!
    *people love you when they spend that much time to make you that kind of cake. happy birthday!
    ~chica

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    crap. pretty much i love everyone today (and I'm sure there are a few of you out there reading this thinking "I KNOW she doesn't love me" but you'd be wrong because I do). today is the best ever.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger jordan said…

    Happy Birthday Betsy.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't even know you, or where you live, but am tempted to ride the bart over and just start knocking on doors until I find a piece of that cake.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Rich said…

    Dear Betty Hayward,

    Happiest of birthdays to you on this glorious day!

    Signed,

    Susan Herzog

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger emily said…

    happy birthday betsy! (this is emily a.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home