the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, September 04, 2006

Hardcore SF biker gangs are the new awesome

At Wayne's birthday party last week, those of us who were going to be in SF for Labor Day weekend started discussing what awesome things we could do to make everyone leaving town totally jel. We decided on a Saturday biking extravaganza. I don't own a bike so Liz was nice enough to loan me hers. Wednesday night I ran to the McMillan's over in the Sunset and picked up my sweet ride. I put on my helmet and took off for my apartment. This is only the second time in my 2.5 years of living in SF that I've ridden a bicycle. And it's the first time I've ridden a bicycle through the city streets and not in some hyper-tourist zone of SF. It was dusk. The weather was perfect. Something about riding a bike through the city is so exciting. I instantly felt like I was part of some secret biking cool kids club. After only a few blocks I was flipping off inconsiderate motorists and banging on the trunks of cars as they cut me off (jk jk). Mostly what I'm trying to say is it was the best ever.

Since I was now a hardcore city biker I hauled the bike up to my third floor apartment and sat down on the couch. An hour later I noticed the back tire of Liz's bike was flat!! I called Wayne and he explained that we could either patch the tire or just buy a new tube for it. I decided on the tube so Friday night Wayne, Shawn and Robyn came over and we went and bought a new tube for the wounded bike. Then we ate dinner at Rotee. The walls at Rotee make for pleasant picture taking. And the food at Rotee makes for delicious eating.

I know it's totally old news but Wayne and Shawn are hot.

Robyn wore her favorite sweater to dinner.


This picture makes it look like Shawn and Robyn were playing an important role in the tire repair. They weren't. They were just hanging out on the kitchen floor.


As a thank you for the tire repair I said it would be okay if we watched "What Not to Wear" and ate the rest of Rebecca's cookies since she was out of town.

Saturday morning I got up early and drove out to Wayne's. When I was in the car I was wondering why I pushed for a 9am start time.


Official Hardcore SF Biker Gang photo.


We obviously need uniforms or t-shirts at least.


My friends are so good at riding bikes.


One hand. No big deal.


After you cross the bridge, you go down a really big big big long hill into
Sausalito. Maybe you remember the band Sausalito from the movie Lost in Translation? The city of Sausalito is pretty much the same as that band.

We had some time to kill before the ferry came to take us back to San Francisco. We spent most of that time watching Wayne and Shawn lock up our six bikes with three locks.


Also, cheerleading happened in Sausalito.


So much fun on the ferry boat!
1) Pirate ship.


2) Reenactment of the annoying girl from "What Not to Wear."


3) Wind!


4) Views!


Also, this happened on the ferry boat.


After arriving back in SF we biked to the Marina and ate lunch at Barney's.
This is my favorite picture of lunch. Maybe it's my favorite picture of the day.


When we were getting ready to head home this pulled up across the street.


Uniforms.


All the fun.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:59 AM, Blogger gretel said…

    fun! i only have a bike, not a car and i drive around the city every day - so much fun! it is pure freedom.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am totally jel. i would buy a bike today, but it wouldn't be same without the gang and the San Francisco.

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Tyler said…

    I remember Sausalito! I think about it everyday when I walk by the restaurant down the street from my house. It's called Sausalito. It's not like that band, though.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sweet rides guys.

    looks like fun (i haven't ridden a bike in like 10 years. i'll admit i'm a little afraid to.)

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    betsy is the greatest blogger of all time.

    love,
    shawn & robyn

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    i think the lead singer of sausalito might drink martini's at sausalito in chicago.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Next time we should ride all the way to Napa.

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    shawn you're right. good thing you posted that comment or i may never have known you also wanted to ride to napa.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The picture doesn't show this, but that pirate boat actually shot a cannon at another boat. Or another boat shot at it. I don't know but it was drama at high seas, that's for sure.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Damian said…

    lest you forget:

    the Sausalito is also a cookie that is farmed at the Pepperidge farm, and it is oh, so good.

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger bex said…

    i sort of wish you hadnt eaten my cookie dough. i want to eat some right now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home