the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sundance-dance-dance is the new awesome

I was out at Sundance last week for my yearly cinematic adventure. Anyone that follows the fest could probably tell you that there weren't many "wow" movies to brag about going to see this year. And it is a good thing there are so many people I like to hang out with in Utah anyway, because I'm not totally sure how glamorous the Sundance thing turns out to be in the end. Sure, when my friends invite me to go see "Choke" or "Be Kind, Rewind" in a few months, I will get to put on my snobbiest voice and tell them that I already saw the premiere, like, 6 months ago. And then joke will be on me as I sit home alone while they are all off at the movies together.

Of course, half the fun of Sundance is all the famous people milling about, and I see quite a lot of them in the theater where I work. I was tearing tickets at the door of the theater one morning when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked up and the tapping man said in a hushed tone, "Look, I've got (name of famous guy) here, and we really don't want a lot of picture taking or attention drawn to him. He just wants to come in and watch the movie." I looked behind me, and sure enough - I had just unwittingly torn the ticket of one mildly uncomfortable famous guy. I hadn't even noticed that it was him, and honestly, no one else seemed to be paying him much mind either - certainly not enough attention to warrant asking me to be put under some sort of special theater protection program. All the moviegoers were far too interested in getting good seats to bother standing there fawning over him. I turned back to famous guy's overly concerned handler and told him that we would do what we could if people started bothering him, but that as it stood, he could just go get a seat like everyone else. They both went in to watch the film and I didn't hear from them again. I am not sure which was more funny to me - the idea that someone that famous and recognizable would put themselves in such an obviously public arena like the Sundance Film Festival and expect that they can ask that everyone ignore them ... or to ask that people ignore them when embarrassingly, everyone already is.

15 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger robin marie said…

    i love that you tore snape's ticket and didn't even notice... and no one else seemed to notice either!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Tannertrue said…

    ALAN RICKMAN!! Oh man, I totally love that guy. My girlfriend thinks that he is my heterosexual man crush. I usually respond by an awkward chuckle and I try to change the subject.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    There are so many people like that! I've heard the Maroon 5 guy likes to dress in a cowboy hat and sunglasses INDOORS so as to remain "anonymous," while clearly he is seeking gawkers.
    When I was at LA Fashion Week, I was surrounded by people who stood around, looking as though I should think they were important. All I could think was, "You're very pretty and I'm sure you're on the WB or something, but I don't watch your show and I don't care who you are. Wait in line."

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger The UnMighty said…

    What's most surprising to me is that Alan Rickman is still alive. Medical miracles never cease to amaze.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger julia said…

    i think that story is hilarous - and so true!

    along w/farrah's comment, i agree it's usually the sunglasses indoors that give it away. i say one year we go, wear sunglasses, and always walk w/a herd of 5 big guys. and they will tap people and say, excuse me, but these ladies are important, please give them extra service. and we will thoroughly enjoy the day and maybe get free stuff.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger each of the two said…

    *pout*

    I miss yous guys.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Damian said…

    If you want to be ignored in Utah, you just need to wear a ROOTS beret. bonus for wearing a special olympics jacket as well.

    I mean, you might get noticed, but certainly not for the right reasons.

     
  • At 12:11 AM, Blogger f*bomb. said…

    PS-
    Should I even admit that I totally thought he was Bill Maher? I should've recognized the sneer and capelike flourish as being Professor Snape.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So about six years ago (fall 2001) I was in London and some friends and I went to see Private Lives in the West End, starring A. Rickman and Lindsay Duncan. My friends wanted to get his autograph, which isn't really my thing, but whatever.

    So in the cold winter London night we waited at the stage door with some Star Wars goobers who wanted Lindsay Duncan's autograph. One after another, each cast member came out and couldn't have been nicer. Each talking to us for a while (Lindsay Duncan was gracious and talked to us for at least 10 minutes, asking about our trip, etc; Adam Godley was also nicer than he really needed to be). Finally, out came A. Rickman, who could not have been more rude. Granted, celebs don't really do much for me and so I wasn't really expecting much from him...but given that LD had been so nice his rudeness was kind of shocking. Obviously, time has not mellowed him much.

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    big blog collection...good thing they finally realized what's going on in the bloggin' world. giddy up for sundance and some serious mad skills tonight @ flag football girl!

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Jihan Zencirli said…

    I'm jealous! I've got a huge crush on Alan Rickman.
    And by the way, I found your link via Jordan, but my good friend, Robin, left the first comment. Small world.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Bianca G. Kaiser said…

    I love Alan Rickman's jacket. I used to wear the jacket too when I watched on cinemas. Actually, I used jacket to cover up my favorite black bodycon dress.

     
  • At 2:17 AM, Blogger Rohit said…

  • At 3:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Thanku For These Useful blog Now I want to represent Some Interesting topic – Hire Legal Assistant
    Hire Legal Assistant & Secretary -
    We Take care Of All These Overheads (So You don't have to) (Hire Legal Assistant)
    Recruitment
    Human Resources
    Payroll & Taxes
    Office Infrastructure
    Labour Law & Compliances
    Background Checks
    Confidentiality Agreements
    IT Infrastructure
    Read More - Hire Legal Assistant"

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thankyou for this blog.
    I found this blog helpful. To stay updated with all the latest news, breakings or samachar in a simplest language and in a easy manner visit the given links to know more

    Tesla CEO Buy Twittter
    Aaj Ka taaja samachar
    Latest Breaking News
    Twitter Is Looking To Accept Musk's $43 Billion Offer
    REALEASED multi device feature
    aaj ke mukhya samachar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home