the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, December 31, 2007

Pizzeria 712 is officially the new awesome

My brother-in-law Joseph and his business partner Colton have done it! They've successfully opened their restaurant in Orem called Pizzeria 712! I've mostly had to hear about all the details from family but I've been able to participate in my own special ways.

Joseph & Colton come to San Francisco in June 2006 to research and Bex and I tag along.

Steve and Betsy conduct their own independent upscale pizzeria research in San Francisco in Spring 2007.

That whole "participation by proxy" thing ended this week when Steve and I were in Utah visiting my family for Christmas. We were lucky enough to have dinner and lunch the following day at Pizzeria 712.

They pride themselves on using local sustainably farmed produce, meats and cheeses whenever possible. If you don't know who Alice Waters is, you should read about her online...this quote of hers is on a large chalkboard inside the restaurant and it sums up Pizzeria 712 very well.


Thursday night Suzy, Steve and I set out for our dinner adventure.


Since Steve and I live in San Francisco and rarely get to visit the restaurant we decided to order lots, try it all and take the leftovers home. We looked over the menu.


For starters they bring you homemade hummus with Joseph's freshly baked pita bread. So delicious. We also ordered the short rib & polenta (one of the best thing I've ever tasted in my life) and the beet salad with homemade ricotta cheese.


They were also running a mac & cheese special...our lucky night.


Speck pizza.


Tomato, mozzarella & basil pizza.


Suzy enjoying the carmelized onion, potato, rosemary and fontina pizza.


To finish our meal we shared the homemade deconstructed s'more.


Colton & Joseph were too busy to talk to us...almost. We cornered them at the counter for a minute to thank them for the fantastic meal and congratulate them on their success.


Since we were staying the night in Provo we figured we better hit up P712 for lunch the next day because the lunch menu includes items (namely panini & soup) that aren't on the dinner menu. Here are some shots of the front of the restaurant...it was WAY too cold the night before to be bothered with picture posing in the freeeezing temps.



We started our lunch with Colton's amazing brocoli soup.


Then Steve ordered the braised beef panini and I ordered the ham, white cheddar and pear mustard panini and we shared.


This is Brian. Brian is also an important part of the P712 crew. Brian keeps things going in the front of the house while Colton & Joseph see to the rest.


Where the magic happens.


We showed up for lunch right before they were closing to prep for dinner so things were slow enough that Steve and I got a lesson in wood burning ovens from the masters themselves.


Congratulations Joseph & Colton for reaching your goal!!! I'm so excited for you both! 2008 will be an amazing year I'm sure. Here is a link to the P712 blog and other interesting/useful info.

25 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Colton said…

    You are right. That is the new awesome. We were pleased to have out of towners to visit and dine with us. Your rundown of our restaurant makes us shine with joy.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger chelle. said…

    i can't even wait to have lunch there. or dinner. whenever. it looks absolutely delectable. but orem is a bit of a ways from logan, so it might not be for awhile. but the countdown is on.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Lee said…

    I was wondering when you'd let me know this was open.

    Oh, man.....

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Consider yourself informed. I can't wait to hear about your first visit!

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    i can't wait to check this out! thanks for the tips!

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I agree--the short rib and polenta is to die for! I've got to get myself down there to try that s'more thing, too. I can't believe what I've been missing. P712 IS the new awesome! (Do I spot Jen & Sophie in that picture?)

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    you do indeed...apparently sophie thinks she owns the place.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Damian said…

    I'm ginew eat there next time I am provoed.

     
  • At 6:40 PM, Blogger Steve said…

    I wish they had delivery to SF. I could use one of their speck pizzas right now!!!

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger English said…

    This is so badass, I might plan an entire trip just to eat at this restaurant.

    I had no idea this venture was even going on. Congratulations Joe and Colton!

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger julia said…

    it's only 10am and that post just made me incredibly starving. of course i ate breakfast not too long ago, but i could still probably fit everything you posted into my stomach. at least a few bites of each.

    and i can't even get there until christmas 08! this is definintely on the slc to-do list for jan & i. thanks for all your hard work and research. :)

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Danny said…

    This place looks great. I already have plans to eat her with Emily C. I am glad that this will be the one shining light in what is probably the scariest monstrosity ever conceived by man or beast. Seriously, what is this building and why is it necessary!!!??? Can't wait to try it out.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Supercords said…

    This is going on my list of 'Must Eat 2008'

    Thanks for the head's up.

    Shane

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger aisy said…

    mmm, can't wait to try it out... since i'm a short drive away.

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Veeda said…

    I'm excited to go here -- we just featured the pizzeria in our next issue of Square.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Hooray!!! I can't wait to hear your dining tales!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger kami @ nobiggie.net said…

    It so is the new awesome! And blogging about it is the new awesome too! I'm next! :)

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger The UnMighty said…

    My mouth is watering.

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger amy said…

    i knew you guys lived in san fransisco so i was confused when i saw this. how cool you are related! pizzeria 712 is HUGE here! it's the place to be. everyone is talking about it. seriously. cool.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Yo said…

    this is one of the few times that google reader has gotten a suggestion right! found your blog through them, clicked subscribe. decided to delurk on this 712 business! i LOVE san fran. i'll be up in the fall for thanksgiving. i'm definitely hitting this place while i'm there.

    yummmm.... i can smell it already.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger Yo said…

    great, now thanksgiving is RUINED. P712 is in utah?

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I went there, but they were closed for their afternoon break. The wood fire smelled awesome though. Oh well, try again some other day, I guess.


    On another note, single guys everywhere should be aware that the hostess was stunning. I'm not talking hot in the H-O-T-T, "I'd hit that," leering frat-boy kind of way. No, I'm talking BEAUTIFUL in the classic, face-that-launched-a-thousand-ships, why-are-you-working-here-instead-of-Paris-as-a-face-model-for-the-cosmetics-industry sense.

     
  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger Rohit said…

    I absolutely love the content that you share with us, It's easy to understand your article and it makes my work easier. Thank you for sharing your insights with us.
    Valentine’s Day Gifts
    Valentine’s Day Gifts
    Valentine Chocolate Day Gift
    Valentine’s Day Chocolate
    Valentine’s Day Gifts

     
  • At 3:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Thanku For These Useful blog Now I want to represent Some Interesting topic – Hire Legal Assistant
    Hire Legal Assistant & Secretary -
    We Take care Of All These Overheads (So You don't have to) (Hire Legal Assistant)
    Recruitment
    Human Resources
    Payroll & Taxes
    Office Infrastructure
    Labour Law & Compliances
    Background Checks
    Confidentiality Agreements
    IT Infrastructure
    Read More - Hire Legal Assistant"

     
  • At 4:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thankyou for this blog.
    I found this blog helpful. To stay updated with all the latest news, breakings or samachar in a simplest language and in a easy manner visit the given links to know more

    Tesla CEO Buy Twittter
    Aaj Ka taaja samachar
    Latest Breaking News
    Twitter Is Looking To Accept Musk's $43 Billion Offer
    REALEASED multi device feature
    aaj ke mukhya samachar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home