the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Monday, April 03, 2006

Rent-a-Roommates are the new awesome

So, as I dropped Betsy off at the airport again last week, I decided that rather than spend a lonely few days home alone, I would call 1-800-rent-a-roomie and get myself some companionship for the weekend. Sure enough - just hours after making the call, they sent me this guy named Aaron, who had decided to finish off his spring break in San Francisco.

welcome, new roommate, aaron!


He was a pretty good substitute, and adapted quickly to life around the apartment. In no time at all, he learned what to do when our toilet won't flush, and how to only turn our kitchen faucet on half-way if you don't want to get sprayed. He didn't have as many shoes as Betsy does, but his tolerance for watching my family home movies was way higher than hers.

These are some of the things that my substitute roommate and i got to do over the weekend:

Reconstructed Clothing Exhibit at the de Young museum
As you may know, I am a sucker for sewing machines and all the fun you can have with one. There was a great show down at the de Young, where FIDM and UCSF students had reconstructed new fancy outfits out of used clothing. There were some true fashion fiascos, but many pieces that were really fun.





Conference Sleepover
One of the best parts about having 10 million channels is that we get the BYU channel, and therefore on General Conference mornings, the pj and pancake parties get to be at our house. Plus, with TiVo you can start Conference whenever you feel like it, fast forward the songs if you want to (not that we want to), and even replay various talks if you think your friend was sleeping through something they needed to hear.

So we had a sleepover at our house Fri, and all got up Sat morning to watch Conference together.

I provided breakfast my way:

and jeff provided breakfast his way:


Noise Pop 'n Shop
The San Francisco indie music fest, Noise Pop, was going on this week. Lots of bands that were at SXSW hightailed it on up here to SF to rock the city. In addition to good music, they set up a little "Noise Pop 'n Shop" this year where all sorts of local designers got together to sell their crafty wares. ReadyMade had a table, so we got to sit there and hand out magazines for a few hours.

I only embarrassed myself a tiny bit when i didn't recognize Jason Munn when he stopped by the booth, even though I am in love with his posters and ReadyMade had just done a big article on him and I had seen his picture all huge many, many times.

Farewell to Caroline King
Caroline is moving to Utah, and taking her extreme baking skills with her. Aaron, Dave and I are much, much more sad about this move than this photo might indicate:


You will be missed, Caroline. You too, rent-a-roomie, aaron! Both of you come back to SF soon and I promise, Jeff will cook up a whole plate of lil' smokies for you.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Just because you slept in my bed while I was gone does not mean you're the real deal.

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Also, are you guys related?

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger bex said…

    bets, don't be jealous that i finally found a roommate that understands the woes of failing eyesight, AND that doesn't have to dye their hair to get it to look like mine.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Tannertrue said…

    You know if your toilet doesn't flush you can dump a half a bucket of water right down the bowl really fast and it'll flush automatically... its like a gag reflex, but for a toilet.

    Betsy, you can be my roommate and facts like that will come flying at you for free... think about it.

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger bex said…

    tanner - I had to work hard to get betsy to come home this time. don't try to wile her away with your toilet facts.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger MF said…

    Caroline was my family home evening mother at Ricks College. We called her Mother Caroline. I did not know that she had such baking prowess. Some kind of mother she was.
    then again, I have cooking prowess, and I don't think that I shared mine, either.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Betsy said…

    Roommate, I understand you're angry that I left you again for the weekend...but don't call me a blonde. That's just mean.

    Tanner, I have been in deep thought since reading your comment last night.

    Aaron, I don't know if bex told you or not but I made us pizza and strawberry shortcake last night. Out-roommate that.

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    bacon butter was conspicuosly absent from your breakfast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home