the new awesome

whatever we are blogging about, that's the new awesome

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Super Sonic hearing is the new awesome

Does anyone under the age of 20 read this blog?

The other day the BBC did a story on a theater using an “ultra sonic tone” to keep people under 25 from loitering out front. Apparently they install boxes that emit this harmless ultra sonic tone that generally can only be heard by people aged 25 and under. The constant buzz is so annoying that the kids clear out.

A secret soundwave that only people under 25 can hear? That seems too James Bond to be true.

Listen to it here.I can't hear a thing, but I am over 25, so my shriveled, wrinkled eardrums are not supposed to. Can anyone else hear it? Or are we all just listening to dead air?

Best application of this frequency? Teacher-proof ringtones. So that your phone can ring in class and those old fogey teachers can't hear a thing.

Ok. So we 'over 25' people might not be able to hear that stupid frequency, but at least we can rent cars all by ourselves. Take that!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seriously can't hear anything? I was driving home from work the other day when that news story came on the radio. They just opened the piece with that awful noise, then broke into the story and explained it. When I heard the noise without any explanation I was thinking, "What the heck is that??? Oh my gosh, NPR better turn that off quick!!!" I'm over 25 but, but people say I look like I'm in high school still. Maybe the frequency only works for people that look like they're in high school. So Billy White, who had a moustache when we were in elementary school together, probably wouldn't have heard the tone when he was in high school.

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like a mix between that horrible "headache" ringing that one gets and electronic crickets. It's very subtle, but I had to close the window pretty quickly as it was really horrible. I turn 25 in 6 months, so perhaps I'll do an experiment to see if one really IS different on one's birthday.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger bex said…

    the thing they didnt think of is that i can't hear the sound, and I LOVE to loiter! what are they going to do about it?

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger jordan said…

    paul can't hear it either and he is ALWAYS loitering. their little plan isn't going to work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home